When I was a kid I used to keep a map of all the Cracker Barrel restaurants in America in my jewellery box. It just sat there all year long, beside my other treasures such as:
- Lisa Frank stickers I’d snuck from my sister’s room
- necklaces I’d swiped from the game Pretty Pretty Princess
- chocolate covered bon-bons I’d pilfered from my bubie’s stash
- notes to and from my imaginary friend Mamilla
Sweet n’ Savoury Apple Braised Kale
- olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 slices of finely chopped veggie/turkey/standard bacon OR a few dashes of hickory flavoured liquid smoke
- 1/2 bunch kale, lower stems removed
- 1/2 apple, diced
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp grainy dijon mustard
- pinch of sugar
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add shallot, garlic and bacon if using sautee for about a until fragrant (and meat is mostly cooked, if using). Add kale and stir to combine.
- Add broth, liquid smoke (if using), apples, mustard, 1 tbsp of balsamic & sugar. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low simmer for about 15-20 min or until most of the liquid has cooked off and apples are cooked.
- As a last step, raise heat once again. Add in the last tbsp of balsamic and quickly reduce, tossing to combine with the greens for about 30 seconds-1 min or until they are well coated. Serve immediately.